Home Staging Stats.
We like to say that effective home staging is both an art and a science, but when it comes to the returns you get from investing in professionally staging your home, it’s strongly on the science side.
A recent survey performed by HomeGain, for example, stated that hiring a professional home stager offered a whopping 196% return on investment. Yes, 196% ROI just from professionally staging your home. This is the kind of (comparatively) short-term investment return that stock brokers dream of… But what does it actually mean?
What it means is that for every $724 you spend on having a real estate listing professionally staged, you’ll see an average return of $2,145.
The Ins-and-Outs of Staging Your Property.
When clients hire us to do their home staging, not only do we stage their home – we also do a thorough walk-through and offer additional suggestions on home improvements that we believe will give our clients the biggest bang for their buck. We look very closely at what will best enhance their unique home and attract the most prospective buyers (obviously)… However, we do this by referring to more than just our training and years of experience; we refer also to the latest trends and discussions in home décor and consumer surveys.
Frequently, these suggested improvements include recommending interior and exterior paint colours and flooring, as well as replacing light fixtures and/or hardware. We then email our suggested selections to clients, along with the list of our more regular recommendations.
Stats & Digits…
We admit that we may be slightly biased, but we truly do agree wholeheartedly with this recent HomeGain survey. We have been in the business long enough to know what potential buyers will respond to positively, and what potential buyers will turn on their heels and walk away from.
The fact remains that no matter what the state of the current real estate market is, every home can benefit from staging. Why? Because the property will sell faster and receive better offers. Like real estate expert Barbara Corcoran said, “Staging your home for sale used to be an option, but today it’s a necessity.” And the statistics consistently prove this statement to be 100% true.
Even something as simple as cleaning up/decluttering and adding a fresh coat of paint can yield some truly impressive returns. Add to that some basic landscaping and improved lighting, and your property’s listing value can easily increase by tens of thousands of dollars – not to shabby for a weekend or 2 of basic home improvements!
Below we’ve listed our top 20 recommended home improvements that will catch the eye of prospective homebuyers and offer an undeniably impressive return on investment, along with their average ROI stats. Feel free to take a look through each item and to get in touch with any questions or requests you might have!
The Top 20 Home Improvements to Prepare Your Home for Sale:
- Cleaning and decluttering: 403% ROI (HomeGain)
- Lighten & Brighten: 299% ROI (HomeGain)
- Plant Native Trees & Plants: 284% ROI (HomeGain)
- Professional Home Staging: 196% ROI (HomeGain)
- Electrical or Plumbing Repairs: 181% ROI (HomeGain)
- Replace and/or Shampoo Carpets: 160% ROI (HomeGain)
- Painting Interior: 165% ROI (Moneysense Magazine)
- Landscaping: 105% ROI (HouseLogic)
- New Roof: 105% ROI (HouseLogic)
- New Deck: 104% ROI (HouseLogic)
- New Entry Door: 102% ROI (HouseLogic)
- Privacy Fencing: 100% ROI (RIS Media)
- Hardwood Floors-Refinishing Hardwood: 100% ROI or Installing New Hardwood: 91% ROI (HouseLogic)
- New Exterior Manufactured Stone Veneer: 89% ROI (Remodelling Magazine)
- Garage Door Replacement: 85% ROI (Remodelling Magazine)
- Siding Replacement: 82% ROI (Remodelling Magazine)
- Window Replacement: 79% ROI (Remodelling Magazine)
- Basement Remodel: 75% ROI (Remodelling Magazine)
- Kitchen & Bathroom Renovations: 66% ROI (HomeGain)
- Painting Exterior: 55% ROI (HomeGain)
Here at Transcend, we proudly offer a wide range of home staging services that include:
• Colour consultations
• Walk & talk consultations
• Occupied home staging and vacant home staging consultations
• Staging furniture & décor accessory rentals
• Full home staging services that include all of the above (of course!)