Even though it’s not officially spring yet, if you’re planning on selling your house in the spring then right now is the perfect time to start planning.
Thinking of selling your property this spring, but not sure how to even start preparing it for the market? Then this is the blog post for you! With a healthy smattering of interesting facts, we offer 6 key tips to guide you in to the path of successfully listing your property in Calgary’s competitive real estate market this spring.
Read on for the full scoop…
Setting the Stage for Springtime Home Sales in Calgary
With the busy spring market in Calgary’s real estate industry about to start, more homes will very soon be hitting the market. Yet even though there will be more homes to compete with, there will also be more buyers out shopping… So you need to ensure that your property stands out from the competition!
If you don’t yet have a realtor lined up, now is the time to start interviewing potential realty specialists. Successful realtors understand the powerful combination that home staging and professional photos make, so be sure to shop around for someone that will ensure your home is showcased to its fullest potential.
Home Staging: One of the most potent aspects of real estate marketing.
We know we keep saying this, but the cost of a home stager truly is much less than a price reduction – the proof for this is in the profits!
A recent survey performed by HomeGain found that hiring a professional home stager offered a whopping 196% return on investment. That’s a strong enough ROI to make anyone with even the most basic understanding of math sit up and pay attention!
When to start readying your home (and yourself) for market…
Since winter still lingers outside (at the time of writing this), the ideal time to focus on interior preparations is right now. Does this sense of urgency sound a bit dramatic? Well, sometimes it can be!
Because one thing we’ve noticed in our many years of home staging for Calgary’s real estate market is that preparing a property’s interior for home staging and sale can be like tumbling down a rabbit hole. This is particularly true for folks who have lived in a property for a long time, such as empty nesters and retirees looking to downsize.
One example of a potential rabbit hole is all those items from days gone by – precious memories of kindergarten craft projects, Mother’s Day mementos, handmade Christmas cards, and so on. These keepsakes may have been boxed up years ago, but they’re still taking up space in storage closets and basements.
Stowed away for posterity, these boxes will need to be dealt with soon!
Homeowners need to deal with these boxes of nostalgia because potential homebuyers must be able to see themselves calling your property “home” in order for a listing to sell.
Boxes upon boxes of precious memories and sentimental stuffs piled in closet spaces and random corners make it very hard for buyers to see themselves (and their own stuff) living there. It also prevents them from getting a good understanding of how much space these important areas provide.
How to start readying your home for market:
While hugely important, clearing out boxes of keepsakes and mementos is just one way people can prepare their home for listing on the market this spring.
In addition to sorting through storage spaces, closets, and other hidden recesses, soon-to-be sellers can also put some extra attention into other aspects of their home that normally get neglected.
Here are our top 6 recommendations for preparing the inside of your home for listing on the market this spring:
1. Deep clean: This is the single biggest thing you can do to improve your chances of selling! It’s not as hard as it seem, either. Be sure to do a thorough cleaning of the entire home, or even hire a professional cleaner to do it for you. Either way, it will truly make a world of difference.
2. De-clutter: Donate or sell all unwanted items before you list your home. The more you can purge, the better! Click here to check out our blog post about where you can donate unwanted items in Calgary.
3. Depersonalize your home: Potential buyers need to be able to imagine themselves living there, so take down all family photos, certificates, and religious items.
4. Take care of minor home repairs: Buyers want to feel that their potential new home has been well taken care of! Don’t let a leaky faucet, damaged flooring, or chipped mantel be the reason they don’t make an offer.
5. Do some minor interior updates: One of the benefits of working with Transcend is that we’ll give you a collection of budget-friendly, on-trend recommendations (such as new lighting or new hardware) that will modernize your space and make it more competitive and attractive.
6. Consider refreshing rooms with a new interior paint colour: Paint is one of the most cost-effective ways to update a room and attract buyers. Our stagers will choose the best paint colour for your home – a colour that will motivate prospective buyers to move right in!
Sometimes all you need is a professional consultation.
One of the best investments you can make in the successful sale of your property is to take advantage of one of our many home staging services – our “Walk & Talk” home staging consultations. This is where we perform a thorough walk-through of your property, giving you professional advice and tangible take-aways on how to expertly showcase your home to attract buyers.
Among other things, we’ll show you how to best use your existing furniture and accessories and can even bring in some of our own inventory to fill in any missing pieces. You don’t have to take our word for it when we say that this is an incredibly useful service – take a look at what our past clients have to say about it!
Questions? We’d love to hear from you! Get in touch at: info[at]transcendstaging.com or 403-998-9457